Will clear stance on Shiroda once bypoll date is declared: Gaude
MARGAO: Minister for Art and Culture Govind Gaude on Friday said he has not decided to openly support BJP candidate in Shiroda bypoll even though his archrival Deepak Dhavalikar of MGP has thrown his hat in the ring.
Speaking to reporters at Raia on the sidelines of Lok Utsav programme, he said he is an independent MLA and there is no binding on him from any political party.
“I had extended support to Manohar Parrikar in forming the government. I am not committed to support them in the by-election. However, I will decide whom to support once the byelection date is declared,” he stated.
He said in next ten days there will be lot of changes in the political scene of Goa. “The code of conduct can come into force and byelection dates will also be announced soon,” he said.
Sources say that Gaude would choose to remain neutral in Shiroda as it would politically benefit him in Priol.
Commenting further, Gaude said people are closely watching the leaders and will appropriately decide whom to vote in the byelections.
Meanwhile, on Lok Utsav event, Gaude assured to support such cultural events that would help preserve the cultural identity of the state. He urged people to protect Goa’s land and not to let it pass on to others.
Prakash Velip, chairman of ST commission, urged the ST community to lay emphasis on education as it is the only way forward for the community, besides preserving the true Goan identity.
Fr Conceicao D’Silva, parish priest of Raia church, highlighted the need to have Lok Utsav type programmes in every ward of the village. He raised concern over drug problem in the state. The district collector Agnelo Fernandes appealed to the community to protect and preserve the traditions of Goa which, he said, are fading away with modernisation.
On the occasion, Rumaldo Gonsalves, Marcos Gonsalves, Judas Quadros, Vincy Quadros, Roque Dias, Anthony Pango were honoured. Mamlatdar John Fernandes could not make it to receive
- Only persons born in Goa can change name in state
- No movement at state govt level for solution to mining
- I intend to contest Mandrem bypoll independently: Laxmikant Parsekar
- Naik shunted out; Bandekar takes over as GMC dean
- Education dept introducing tablet learning in 24 govt primary schools
- LS polls: govt effects transfer of 9 DySPs, 46 PIs, 101 PSIs
- Govt mulls charging power consumers for streetlights
- ‘Port Town Heritage Festival’ begins
- HSSC examination seating arrangements at Pernem, Ponda