We have 10 options on table for mining resumption: Cabral
Stating that “the government has 10 different options ready” for restarting mining operations in Goa, Power Minister Nilesh Cabral on Thursday said the government is ready to restart mining operations and would tell the people how it would go about the same, once the Supreme Court decides on a 20-year-old mining case.
The options include restarting mining operations by way of issuance of mining leases, through mining concessions, by setting up the state mining corporation, auctioning of mining leases and so on.
The apex court has agreed to hear an appeal filed 20 years ago by a mining company challenging a 1987 law that abolished mining concessions granted by Portuguese rulers. The court directed the listing of this and all other such appeals after the Union ministry for mines submitted an interlocutory application, seeking an early hearing of these appeals.
Speaking to reporters, Cabral said the state government has successfully convinced the Centre to request the Supreme Court as regards deciding the two-decade-old case.
“Once the apex court decides, we will take all steps to restart mining in Goa,” he added.
Responding to the demand from the Goa Mining People’s Front to move out Additional Solicitor General of India Atmaram Nadkarni from representing this 20-year-old case pertaining to a challenge to the Goa, Daman and Diu (Abolition and Declaration of Mining Lease) Act, 1987, Cabral said that there will be expectations from the GMPF.
“However, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has taken the particular decision (to appoint Nadkarni for handling the case) and he is aware of the entire scenario,” he noted.
- Candidates with money and muscle power have upper hand in elections
- Candidates’ social media accounts to be under scanner
- Farmers against 7th Pay Commission pay scales to Goa Dairy workers
- We still have a hope that MGP will not contest elections, says Shripad
- Khaunte speaks out against casino vessels’ presence in Mandovi
- GMPF pins hopes on mining concessions act
- HC partly allows appeal in murder case
- Guard arrested for trying to enter Colvale jail with drugs; suspended
- 4 Georgian nationals held for theft at Anjuna