The Navhind Times Archive

St Savio revive to hold Goa Velha

Duler: St Savio Sports Club came from two goals down to hold Goa Velha Sports Club to an entertaining 2-2 draw in the GENO First Division League match, organised by Goa Football Association, played at Duler Stadium on Friday.

Francis Fernandes Pawar and Irfan Yadwad scored for Goa Velha in the first session, whereas, Yogendra Thapa reduced the margin in the first session for the Calangute based club, while Nevil Rodrigues made it all square soon thereafter.

Goa Velha keeper Soma Korgaonkar was judged the man of the match for his brilliant performance under the crossbar.

The Calangute side had drawn 2-2 with Salgaocar FC Jrs. in the last round match, while Goa Velha were held to a goalless draw by AA De Moira.

St Savio could have taken the early lead when they were awarded a penalty kick in the 6th minute when Goa Velha defender Akram Yadwad brought down Ashok Megheri inside the box but U-20 midfielder Richard Cardoz’s spot kick was brilliantly blocked by Goa Velha keeper Soma Korgaonkar.

At the other end, Goa Velha took the lead in the 14th minute when Aksh Sanadi’s well-taken corner was smartly headed between St Savio’s keeper and defender by Francis Fernandes Pawar to put his side into the lead. Four minutes later, Goa Velha’s Francis and St. Savio’s Ashok were shown the yellow card as both the players were involved in the clash.

Goa Velha doubled their lead in the 21st minute as after getting a long pass from Malcolm Gonsalves, Irfan Yadwad brilliantly shot past St Savio keeper Selwyn D’Souza from close to make it 2-0.

Just after conceding the second goal, St Savio brought in Rayman Fernandes replacing Ashok and the lad brought pace to match. The Calangute side reduced the margin in the 39th minute when Aman Govekar made a brilliant through pass to Deep Govekar who smartly set up onrushing Yogendra Thapa with a low cross. The winger made no mistake to tap the ball home from the point-blank range making it 2-1 for his side.

In the dying minutes of the first session, St Savio almost found the equaliser when Richard shot at the goal with a powerful shot from the top of the box but Goa Velha custodian Soma came with a breath-taking save to tip his goalbound shot for a corner.

On crossing over, St Savio were the dominant side as they came with a series of attacks in the first five minutes but every time failed to capitalise on their chances. In the 56th minute, St Savio forward Aman went for the glory from the top of the box but Goa Velha keeper Soma brilliantly blocked it.

However, at the hour mark, keeper Soma could not stop the ball from going into the net when Richard’s cross was brilliantly tapped in by Nevil Rodrigues to level the terms for the Calangute side.

The rest of the match witnessed clashes between players on a couple of occasions where referee Deepraj Sangelkar’s poor decision helped some players rescue without being cautioned.

While it was his poor decisions which led to fire up the match in the dying minutes where St Savio’s defender Rajat Chopdekar was shown the yellow card for a tackle but he failed to give the same for Goa Velha midfielder Malcolm who pushed Rajat to the ground.

Share this article if you wish