Naik shunted out; Bandekar takes over as GMC dean
PANAJI: The government has divested Dr Pradeep Naik, dean of Goa Medical College, of the charge of post and directed him to report to public health department at the Secretariat until further orders.
The government has directed Dr Shivanand Bandekar, medical superintendent of the GMC, to hold additional charge of the post of dean of GMC and also that of the director, Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour in addition to his own duties until further orders.
The action against Dr Naik has been initiated in the wake of his lethargic approach in responding to the offer of the Union Health Ministry for upgradation of postgraduate diploma courses to postgraduate degree courses, which could cost the state 26 postgraduate degree seats in various disciplines of medical education.
An order issued by under secretary (health), Trupti Manerkar, states: “An inquiry has been ordered against Dr Pradeep Naik due to his inaction/lapses in filing application for conversion of PG diploma seats to PG degree seats in GMC which is considered as a serious lapse by the government.”
After having failed to respond to the central government’s offer to ugrade 26 seats, Dr Naik on February 20 wrote to the central government stating that the state was ready to accept the offer.
The GMC had failed to respond to an offer of the Union ministry to upgrade the seats. The deadline for responding to the Union ministry was January 25, 2019. With belated acceptance, the fate of students hangs in balance and it remains to be seen whether the Centre accepts the state’s belated response.
- Only persons born in Goa can change name in state
- No movement at state govt level for solution to mining
- I intend to contest Mandrem bypoll independently: Laxmikant Parsekar
- Education dept introducing tablet learning in 24 govt primary schools
- LS polls: govt effects transfer of 9 DySPs, 46 PIs, 101 PSIs
- Govt mulls charging power consumers for streetlights
- ‘Port Town Heritage Festival’ begins
- HSSC examination seating arrangements at Pernem, Ponda
- Will clear stance on Shiroda once bypoll date is declared: Gaude