Guard arrested for trying to enter Colvale jail with drugs; suspended
A jail guard attached to the central jail at Colvale was caught red handed with narcotics suspected to be ganja weighing 106 grams by an Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) constable at the frisking point on Wednesday night and subsequently handed over to Mapusa police and placed under arrest. The alleged accused was on Thursday released on bail. The prison department said that the guard has been suspended pending an enquiry.
According to Mapusa police on Wednesday night at around 8.15 pm a jail guard identified as Shambhu Naik (49) resident of Canacona was found in illegal possession of narcotics.
Police informed that at the frisking point when the reserve battalion constable was checking him, he found narcotics suspected to be ganja in his possession and detained him. The Mapusa police was informed of the matter.
Police registered an offence under Section 20 (b) (ii) (a) of NDPS act and arrested the alleged accused. Police also attached and seized the drugs weighing 106 grams worth Rs 10,000. The alleged accused on Thursday was then released on bail. Further investigation is in progress.
- We have 10 options on table for mining resumption: Cabral
- Candidates with money and muscle power have upper hand in elections
- Candidates’ social media accounts to be under scanner
- Farmers against 7th Pay Commission pay scales to Goa Dairy workers
- We still have a hope that MGP will not contest elections, says Shripad
- Khaunte speaks out against casino vessels’ presence in Mandovi
- GMPF pins hopes on mining concessions act
- HC partly allows appeal in murder case
- 4 Georgian nationals held for theft at Anjuna