Govt will build MLA Niwas for sitting, ex-MLAs: Speaker
Speaker of Goa legislative assembly, Pramod Sawant on Wednesday said that the government will construct an MLA Niwas, a residential complex for sitting and former legislators and the legislative secretariat is also considering formulating a special mediclaim scheme for lawmakers.
Speaking at the annual function on Goa Legislature Day organised by Goa Legislators’ Forum at the assembly complex, Sawant appealed to the former legislators to come forward to counter negative propaganda about the development of the state through social media, news media and other forums.
Alleging that some elements in the name of NGOs have been blackmailing the government and the state, the Speaker said that those who do not have knowledge of the legislature have been criticising the government.
“Knowledge and experience of former lawmakers can bring positivity in society if they come forward to counter the negative propaganda by some elements, which is actually becoming a hindrance for progress in the state,” he added.
Speaking on the occasion, the Minister for Legislative Affairs, Nilesh Cabral congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi for bringing in curbs on the social media.
Former minister Nirmala Sawant said that the state government needs to change its attitude for saving river Mhadei, adding that the government had shown apathy during the hearing on the water sharing matter before the Mhadei Water Dispute Tribunal.
Former minister Ramakant Khalap took objection to the amended act related to Alvara land and expressed concern for not implementing the Goa Tenancy Act with true spirit.
During the open forum former MLA Adv Radharao Gracias also spoke on the occasion.
- JERC to hold public hearing on tariff petition on Jan 14
- Businessman threatened, assaulted in Vasco
- Mopa rehabilitees cry foul over substandard houses
- Ray of hope for 560 shut bars in panchayat areas
- National Commission for ST disappointed with Goa’s welfare programmes for community
- Mahadev Naik ready to contest Shiroda bypoll as Cong candidate
- Goa likely to experience chilly nights
- Rent-a-vehicle operators ‘overcharge’ in Calangute
- Bandh throws normal life out of gear
- 7th time in 4 months tender for bio-toilets is floated