Dust pollution along NH66 inconveniencing commuters
Vasco: Apart from traffic congestion, motorists are forced to face the brunt of dust pollution while travelling from NH66 (Margao-Panaji highway) on regular basis.
The ongoing construction work of the new Zuari Bridge has propelled motorists to beeline along Zuari Bridge on the NH66. The traffic jam has been a regular affair for motorists. In case any accident takes place at Zuari Bridge then the problem is very serious wherein vehicles have to spend over three hours to cross the Zuari Bridge.
Apart from traffic congestion, motorists are facing the brunt of dust pollution, at the construction site of the new Zuari Bridge towards Cortalim. The digging work close in the vicinity of Cortalim junction by Dilip Buildcon Ltd (DBL) has caused severe dust pollution.
Two-wheeler riders are mostly affected due to the dust pollution. The commuters travelling to Vasco-Panaji-Margao, those including office goers are also concerned about the dust pollution. Although water is sprinkled at the affected portion of the NH66 once in a day, it is not enough to control the dust pollution for the whole day. The muddy surface of the road has also led to accidents wherein two-wheeler riders most often fall victims on regular intervals at this stretch.
Meanwhile, there were reports of landslide due to the horizontal cutting of the hillock near Cortalim junction. The PWD authorities were supposed to construct a retaining wall in order to prevent landslides, but till date it has not materialised.
The situation could be worse with the onset of monsoon wherein there are more chances of landslides with the horizontal cutting of the hillock. There are also possibilities of uprooting of trees which are lying at the cliff of the hillock. There is also a risk to the lives of people while travelling to Margao and Vasco from Panaji along the NH66. There was a demand from people to construct a retaining wall at the earliest in order to avoid any risk to the lives of
- Babush exudes confidence of sweeping Taleigao polls
- Colva gram sabha lends support to taxi drivers against Goa Miles
- Betalbatim gram sabha adjourned amidst chaos over mega project
- Shiroda locals oppose barge jetty under Sagarmala project
- Calangute locals oppose sewage pumping station at Gaurawaddo
- Pilerne VP cracks down on mud-filling at Savlem lake
- Camorlim VP to take up issue of ‘inconvenienced’ DSSS beneficiaries
- Bicholim bandhara in dilapidated state
- Sidharth is BJP candidate for Panaji by-election
- 50-day water stock available at Anjunem dam reservoir