Car theft from Khadpaband wash centre: Ponda police take three into custody
In a possible breakthrough in the incidents of vehicle thefts from wash centres in the state, Karnataka police have nabbed three persons. Ponda police on Wednesday took custody of the three and recovered a vehicle stolen from Khadpaband-Ponda on June 10.
The trio was identified as Wasim Sayyad (32), Saffimulla alias Shafi Shaik (25) and Nazir Shaik (25), all residents of Gogol colony-Margao.
According to Ponda police, the trio had stolen a Maruti Brezza SUV from a wash centre at Khadpaband after one of them posed as owner of the car. They had taken the vehicle to Karnataka by altering the number plate. A complaint was lodged with Ponda police in this regard by the SUV owner.
Last week, the Karnataka police had arrested the three with four stolen vehicles in Davanagere area. Of the four vehicles recovered from the accused, three are from Goa. “The three accused were working as a team in stealing vehicles from wash centres and there is a high chance of their involvement in other cases too,” said police inspector Harish Madkaikar.
Incidents of car theft from wash centres were also reported from Chinchinim and Mapusa. Police are investigating to find out whether they were involved in those cases and whether more persons are also a part of the gang.
Ponda police have
registered an offence under Sections 420, 379 and others of IPC. PSI Rahul Damshekar is investigating the case.
- GFP to keep up pressure on government for implementing CMP during remaining term
- Falling concrete pieces pose danger at Mapusa municipal market building
- Cabinet okays TCP Act amendment
- Govt approves Goa IT policy
- Seafarers up in arms over central pension scheme issue
- NGOs, major political parties up the ante against draft CRZ notification; stage protest
- CM in a bind over ailing ministers’ portfolios
- People obeying traffic rules, but more needs to be done: DGP
- Dengue spreading its tentacles in rural Goa
- Share your journey, travel at reasonable fare