4 Georgian nationals held for theft at Anjuna
In a major breakthrough, Anjuna police within five hours of registering the offence succeeded in cracking a theft case wherein four Georgian nationals were arrested and valuables worth Rs 9 lakh recovered. The arrested four accused have been remanded to eight days police custody.
According to Anjuna police, Maria Fernandes, a resident of Siolim lodged a complaint that on March 11 between 6.30 pm to 9.30 pm unknown accused persons entered her house by breaking open the rear door and decamped with cash of Rs 3 lakh in different denominations, gold ornaments comprising of two necklaces, four bangles, one thick bangle, 15 pairs of ear rings, two golden chains, five finger rings, one pair of gold plated paijan, melted gold all worth Rs 11.60 lakh by breaking a locker of a steel cupboard.
In this connection Anjuna police registered the offence under Sections 454, 457 and 380 of Indian Penal Code.
Acting swiftly on the complaint a team led by PI Navelesh Dessai along with PSI Vishwajeet Chodankar intercepted a maroon colour i10 car along with four foreign nationals namely, Konstantine Chkhaidze (46) Lura Pirveli (42), Lasha Gurchiani (46) and Irakli Tamliani (33) all Georgian nationals and placed them under arrest. The alleged accused had earlier travelled to Goa in 2017. PI Navelesh Dessai said, following a complaint the police verified CCTV cameras in the locality wherein a camera in the opposite building had captured the suspected car and later during investigation it came to light that the car used was from a rent-a-car.
“Accordingly, 1500 rent-a-cars were examined and an i10 car was shortlisted. We then got to know that the car was given on rent by a Mapusa rent-a-car owner on March 7 to four Georgian nationals” added PI Anjuna.
The police team succeeded in recovering the stolen property. Seven mobile phones, two sim cards, i10 car used in the crime and various other equipments like hydraulic cutter, electric grinder, axe saw blades, hammer, grinder blades and others were recovered.
- We have 10 options on table for mining resumption: Cabral
- Candidates with money and muscle power have upper hand in elections
- Candidates’ social media accounts to be under scanner
- Farmers against 7th Pay Commission pay scales to Goa Dairy workers
- We still have a hope that MGP will not contest elections, says Shripad
- Khaunte speaks out against casino vessels’ presence in Mandovi
- GMPF pins hopes on mining concessions act
- HC partly allows appeal in murder case
- Guard arrested for trying to enter Colvale jail with drugs; suspended